One person really can change the world, especially if each of us does what we can to save energy. Reducing your carbon footprint can be as easy as implementing a few changes to your daily habits. Here are eight simple ways to save energy, reduce your carbon footprint and even save some money.
- Bring reusable shopping bags: Countless plastic bags end up in landfills or even in the ocean. Many land and sea animals are harmed each year by ingesting or getting tangled up in them.
- Reduce food waste: While it might be easy to go overboard, the rule should be to only buy what you need. Planning meals to cut down on groceries, eat leftovers and store food properly to reduce food waste. Also compost food scraps instead of throwing them away.
- Wash clothes in cold water: Conserve energy, save on your electric bill and get the stains out. If you are already only using cold water, consider cutting one load of wash per week by combining loads. Also take shorter, cooler showers to conserve both energy and water.
- Upcycle clothing: These days it’s easier than ever to use websites and apps to sell gently used clothing. If you are buying a textile treasure, look for vintage recycled clothing at thrift stores and consignment shops. Often these stores have unique or designer threads at a fraction of the original price.
- Turn off lights when you leave the room: While this may seem like common sense, we often forget to “flip the switch” when we walk out of a room. Use table lamps instead of ceiling lights and change light bulbs to LEDs to save even more energy.
- Update older appliances: Most older appliances use more energy, increasing your carbon footprint and your energy bill. Look for the ENERGY STAR® rating when replacing older appliances to ensure you buy the most energy efficient models. These ratings usually list how much energy is used and average savings per year.
- Participate in your local energy efficiency program: You can make your home more energy efficient through low to no-cost upgrades such as high efficiency AC tune-ups, duct sealing, insulation, air sealing and LED lighting. If you are an Entergy Louisiana customer, Entergy Solutions is a program available to you.
- Adjust the thermostat: Turn the thermostat up to 78 during the summer and down to 67 in the winter. Also save energy by turning off the thermostat but turning on the ceiling fan when you are not at home. Doing this keeps the air circulating while saving energy. You can look for rebates for smart thermostats through the Entergy Solutions Program.
- Supplement your electricity usage through a clean energy source: One of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint is to use clean energy from renewable sources. Entergy Green Select gives customers the power to match their electricity usage with clean, renewable energy without the expense or hassle of installing solar panels.
It’s easy to reduce your carbon footprint and save money with these simple steps. If we all pitch in, the little things we do every day add up to a collective habit to ensure our world is here for generations to come.